[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jul 30 02:09:28 CDT 2008

On 7/29/08, KC wrote:

>>  No, Verizon doesn't want open source or open hardware
>>  any more than Motorola.
>
>  Yes, they do. So they can pre-empt the steam out of their opponents.

Not really.  They want the press, but they still want to lock
everyone into their walled garden.

So, at most they will pay lip service, but that's about it.

If you want Google and Android on your phone, you want a vendor that
has not aligned themselves with any one particular carrier, so you
can use it on whatever carrier you like.  This is the model that has
been proven to work pretty well in Europe.

Unfortunately, this means GSM, not CDMA.  So kiss Sprint and Verizon good bye.

>  So they can make us all Google-feel-good about them and jump on their
>  bandwagon... hopefully stick a fork in Sprint PCS or the like... wait...
>  only Sprint, Vz and AT-AT left, huh?!

Don't count out T-Mobile just yet.  They're the only GSM carrier in
the US that has ties to a European carrier where the portability
model has been proven to work.

Verizon could potentially pull a rabbit out of their hat, if
Vodaphone got serious about taking them over and converted them from
CDMA to GSM in the process.  But not before then -- there wouldn't be
anyone to be portable to.

>  Yes I know they are... are you telling me you dont own a cell phone,

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention.  I have both the
original iPhone and now the iPhone 3G.  So far, of all the vendors in
the US, Apple seems to be the only one to stand up to the carriers
and force them to change the way they do their business, which is
overall a good thing for consumers.

Sure, Apple runs their own walled garden, but they are a much more
benevolent dictator than any other we've seen in this business in
recent history, and they are helping to pave the way for other
options that are even more open.

So, I have iPhones.  When Google Android is actually included in a
product that I can buy, I'll take a close look at it.

If Neo can continue to stay in business and they can ship an OpenMoko
device with both 3G and WiFi, I'll definitely take a really close
look at that.

>  I just wanna know, in the grand corrupted scheme of things, what exactly
>  was the dirty deed the Scandinavian devils did to get into the worldwide
>  cell-phone manufacturing club anyways!?

Companies like Siemens, Ericsson, and Nokia have pretty much always
been the leading telecom companies in Europe for many years.  When
the GSM standard was being created and adopted in Europe, they were
the natural companies to turn to for this kind of technology.  Now
they are the world leaders in creating both the carrier-side
equipment and the handsets for GSM technologies.

The US was the principal place that was so damn stupid as to tie most
of their future to the CDMA standard and companies like Qualcomm and
Motorola.

>  Oh, dude! Damn Google. Dur. Said that back in 2003.
>  I prefer Verizon's approach with LiMo over Android.
>  I have a better chance of leeching off the move.

Not really.  Remember that walled garden concept mentioned a while
back?  There won't be any way to unlock these phones, at least not
easily.  Not anywhere remotely close to as easily as the iPhone,
since all the connectors will be proprietary, DRM and cryptographic
signatures will infest everything, etc....

Even if you unlock them, you could only use them on the Verizon
network -- it's not like you could take them and make them portable
to any other carrier in the country.

>                                                            Why can't Linux
>  hold out against the telecom industry, too? I think it (we) can fair just
>  fine. That which does not kill the Penguin, only makes him, squawk,
>  stronger!

Because in this case, LiMo exists for the sole purpose of providing a
free and never-empty bag of pure technology to the handset vendors
that they can use in any way they want, and built right into the
organization itself is the concept that Linux cannot be allowed to
run free on this hardware.  It's already been sliced and diced and
julienned until it is semi-digested pabulum whose sole purpose is to
be consumed by the multi-trillion dollar mobile telecom industry.

And there's nothing you can do to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again.

Sure, Linux will continue to survive -- and thrive -- outside of LiMo
and their associated handset vendors, but that cannot be allowed
within the halls of the LiMo consortium.

>  Of course it matters, silly, I am considering getting friendly with some
>  finer points of assembly in anticipation of pocket pc/phone devices...
>  I wanna know what platform to start digging into.

It really doesn't matter, because whatever chipset is chosen today,
they'll probably be using something else tomorrow.