[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Thu Jul 31 19:55:59 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 17:30 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> KC wrote:

> > I HAD forgotten about the Newton, though. Another awesome product that
> > was ahead of it's time. I was really inspired by those, though I never
> > was in a position to buy one. There was a LONG gap between the Newton and
> > whatever came next, huh?

> PalmOS.

> > What DID come next? Palm and Windows CE?

> Palm didn't commit corporate suicide by shipping WinCE until many years later.

> When they did that, they became yet another non-name invisible WinCE
> hardware manufacturer who could be thrown out in the trash with all the
> other WinCE hardware manufacturers, since the one big problem that none of
> them could escape was that they were starting with an execrable product and
> the only thing they could to is to try to make it shiny.

I never tried any of the WinCE flavored Treos, but liked the Treo300 and
Treo600 I used better than the Blackberry models I used, but found
having 24/7 access to email was a real hassle.  As a system
administrator, I like having some down time when I'm not expected to
check email all the time.

I've been using Palm Pilots and Treos for about a dozen years, and like
the sound on my current Palm TX better than ipods or any other mp3
player I've tried.

There was a lot of buzz on engadget a few months ago about Palm
abandoning the PalmOS in favor of Linux.  That would be great in my
opinion, but for now I like being able to pull it out of my pocket and
get theIP addresses on all my servers, their maintenance contract
numbers and serial numbers, along with phone numbers to the vendors and
my technical team members.  I can dial out with it using a bluetooth
lashup to my phone.  During power outages, I can fire up the WiFi
connection to ssh into and power down the 'puters in my house before the
UPS dies without having to wait for a laptop to power up, and the Palm's
easy to backup using kpilot on my home file server.

If Palm moves to Linux and I can still do all with it that I can now
with PalmOS, I'd be glad to move to a Linux PDA.

Al Castanoli