[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Sun Jun 1 10:26:01 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 17:05 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> On 5/31/08, Daniel J. Givens wrote:
>
> >                                                    Semantics aside, most
> >  people lump everything in their distro into the generic term of linux.
>
> True, and that seems to me to be part of the problem.
>
> If this were a car, you would be much more likely to pay close
> attention to the make and model.
I tink that this is primarily due to the fact that a corvette has a very
specific engine and transmission, as well as body style.  Distros may
have very different body styles but don't most Linux distros have
basically the same engine. Or have I over extended the analogy?
>  You wouldn't say your vehicle is
> broken, you'd say that your Corvette is having a problem with its
> brakes.
I might just as easily say that my car has brake problems.  I would only
say corvette if I was trying to impress someone, but this is subjective.
> And everyone would know that a Corvette is a model of car
> that is made by Chevrolet, a brand owned by GM.
>
> But for whatever bizarre reason, they don't do that with Linux.

Maybe it has something to do with the Linux community having more in
common with each other then say corvette owners do.  We don't after all
speak of a community of corvette owners and operators.  Furthermore,
most corvette owners do not have the opportunity to directly participate
in the creation of the corvette.  In my view this is a very important
difference as it gives the individual members of the Linux community a
sense of not just ownership but also of collective creation that is not
there with their cars.
> I'm perfectly fine throwing all distributions under the general
> rubric of the single term, so long as we all understand that this is
> just a hand-waving exercise and when you start talking about specific
> problems then you also need to get specific about which make and
> model you're talking about.

I think that this is largely understood and accepted by the vast
majority of those that participate within the community.  In my
experience it only becomes difficult when trying to explain what
Linux is to those who are not a part of the community or have had little
or no exposure to the community.  In this sense linux may be less of a
brand name, like say corvette, and may be more similar to a type of
engine, say the internal combustion engine.