Linux Gaming was Re: [SATLUG] Fedora 9

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 05:01:27 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Jonathan Hull <masterr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used nLite (vLite's predecessor) many times in the past to make
> discs with custom drivers for various systems. Works very well for
> installing XP on preloaded VIsta laptop's that lack floppy drives and
> need the damn F6 driver for the sata controller.
>
> -Jon

Thanks for the feedback. Good info.
I bought a refurbished Dell D610 a few months ago and the laptop guy
had me come back in 2 hours to pick it up.
What was interesting is that he specifically said he needed that time
to build an image for that platform.
It came with XP SP2 and they would not reduce the price if it was left
off so I took it.
Apparently I bought the first one they sold.

That XP SP2 image came with Firefox, OpenOffice and the latest "free"
version of Grisoft AVG.
I asked about the ZoneAlarm firewall but he claimed he rebuilt his
machines frequently from stored images and had no need for the
firewall? I am not an expert. I always ran ZoneAlarm in the SOHO.
Works like a charm but I quickly put Ubuntu 7.10 on it in dual boot
and everything works flawlessly.

I'm big on images. I was like a kid in a candy store when I heard
about LFS on this mailing list.
Then I ran across a defunct project for UFS (Unix From Scratch).
The guy had stopped working on UFS because he felt future OpenSolaris
releases would replace it.
He was right.

Robert