[SATLUG] Verizon feeding ads on URL errors

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:24:14 CDT 2008

When I make an error in typing a URL into the browser address bar I get
a page of garbage from Verizon instead of an ordinary "page not found"
page.  For example, here's a screenshot of the page I get if I manually
type in the URL for google but leave out the 'dot' before the 'com':
http://www.don-guitar.com/photos/vz-url-error.png

I'm really annoyed about this but I'm also aware than I haven't enough
education to understand the full implications of what's taking place so
I'd greatly appreciate a newbie-friendly analysis with an explanation of
the ramifications.

Yes, in case you're wondering, I'm trying to take advantage of your IT
knowledge and experience (since I have almost none) but if I use the
information in my ezine or a blog rant I'll give you due credit.  :)