[SATLUG] broken cpu pin fell off

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 15:34:00 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 11:21 -0700, Chris Lemire wrote:
> I attempted
> to straighten it out, and when I got it straight, it
> came off. I've been Googling and trying a method to
> fix that.

Dude, that proc is hosed. There are no fixes.

> My cpu was one
> of the first AMD X2s. It is socket 939. They dropped
> down in price to as low as $50 on Newegg.com, and
> then, Newegg stopped carrying them. They became rare
> and expensive.

That's only because the supply is low. That is an old proc. If you don't
want to pony up the cash for the proc, then it's time to pony up for an
AM2 proc and mobo. You can normally find decent cpu/mobo deals at Fry's.
Check out the deal section of the anandtech.com website forums. I have
found the best deals there.

>  I thought of other possibilities such
> as upgrading, but because I planned on not upgrading
> for a while, I bought 2 gb dual channel ddr memory for
> about $135, and to upgrade means that I won't be able
> to use that.

Not necessarily. I have an AM2 setup with ddr2 800 memory.

>  Other factors are cost of course. Next, I
> think I am going to try another method that I saw
> common from Googling. Any one been down these
> routes?

Dude quit while you're ahead and don't risk burning your house down.
Just sell some peppers and go get some new gear.

~Nate