[SATLUG] Verizon feeding ads on URL errors

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jun 2 19:04:16 CDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Also, I don't know of a public DNS server that would accommodate
> anyone.  Others may have a good suggestion.  You have to trust the DNS
> server because if it gives you the wrong ip address for a site, that
> would be pretty hard to distinguish and the odds of successful phishing
> would go up quite a bit.

Whatever server you'd be using, it would be a Caching Open Recursive
Nameserver, and CORNs are a really bad idea.

See <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-reflectors-are-evil-05> as
one part of the problem with CORNs, but there are others as well.

Set up BIND and run it yourself.  It's not that hard, especially if you're
doing only the recursive/caching side.