[SATLUG] broken cpu pin fell off

tsuehpsyde tsuehpsyde at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 22:44:32 CDT 2008

Socket 939 has a lot of grounding pins on it. Now whether or not the one you
broke off is important is hard to tell. Easy way to test? Pop the proc in
and see if it works. It's not going to 'burn down the house', it'll either
POST or it won't. Bad components don't cause fires unless you have a short,
and missing a pin won't short anything. If it works, you broke off a
grounding pin and it wasn't 100% vital. Not ideal, but it'll still work fine
for the most part. Consider it borrowed time. If it doesn't work, time to
look for a new CPU or CPU/mobo. Also consider this a learning experience in
breaking the seal between the proc and the HSF. TIM can be rather
strong...always twist left and right before lifting up to break the seal.

I've had this happen to me (heatsink wouldn't let go of CPU, bent pins), as
well as fixing a friend's s939 proc that shipped and had easily 30 pins bent
from rather bad packaging. I still managed to save it without breaking off a
single CPU pin, and at work I've fixed a handful of CPUs that arrived with
bad PINs from pulls (OEM units with the CPUs pulled and sold). The trick on
socket 939 is to use a credit card....it's pretty much the perfect width to
go between the rows. And when correcting pins, you want to bend them into
the correct position and stop...bending back and forth is going to break
them off for sure.

Best of luck.

-Jim