[SATLUG] HELP! USB TV Tuner recommendations?

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 23:18:40 CDT 2008

I have lost faith in ATI as a result of this horrid experience.

I have purchased both an ATI TV wonder 600 USB and an ATI TV Wonder
650USB w/dual tuner capability. and both have failed miserably!

I need a good recommendation on a USB tuner that can receive
unencrypted QAM signals.  Linux support is highly desired, although if
you know of a good Windows only one, I won't be too upset.  I am
needing a good tuner that will allow me to take snapshots of the video
screen and to record the video/audio to a media file (DiVX, AVI,
whetever at this point).

I used to have a Hauppauge WinTV card (ooold, but hey, the software
worked in Windows and was supported through various apps in Linux
quite easily) but the DTV transition + the need to get a QAM tuner for
work has me needing something that I can take to work and home easily
(hence the USB).

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

FIRESTORM_v1