[SATLUG] Verizon feeding ads on URL errors

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Jun 2 23:35:55 CDT 2008

> What is happening is that your ISPs DNS server is redirecting your DNS query.
> You can probably fix the problem with using a different DNS server as specified
> in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> To test, try
>
>    dig googlecom
>
> You should get
>
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, ...
>
> and not an ip address.
>
> Two issues though.  If you are using DHCP, you need to make sure that
> /etc/resolv.conf is not overwritten every time you boot up by the dhcp client.
>
> Also, I don't know of a public DNS server that would accommodate anyone.  Others
> may have a good suggestion.  You have to trust the DNS server because if it
> gives you the wrong ip address for a site, that would be pretty hard to
> distinguish and the odds of successful phishing would go up quite a bit.
>
>    -- Bruce

Bruce is right. If you use a different DNS service, you will get the garbage
from the others. Here is an option you can try: openDNS:

nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

but they will reformat the page too. Interestingly, when I tried your wrong URL
on my current DNS it got "fixed" and I ended up on the google page.
I am currently in Germany, and when I ask for www.googlecom or www.google.com
I get http://www.google.de/ (Google Deutschland - all in German). So some
redirection is occuring by the DNS. This doesn't happen if I use OpenDNS.
Changing nameservers will give you different responses, as Bruce says.

-Borries