[SATLUG] GRUB problem

Daniel Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 13:12:01 CDT 2008

So the drives moved around/changed.
Hard drive one would be hd0, right?
Should that be (hd0,0) instead of (hd1,0) ?

You could always boot up with http://www.sysresccd.org/, run
GParted (also avail at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php)
and take a look at the setup.

If you need more help, check out
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

have fun,
Daniel

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 19:45:41 -0500
From: "Charles Mims" <chmims at gmail.com>
I have just upgraded from 2 IDE HD and 1 SATA HD, by replacing the 2 IDE
with another SATA. The original SATA has Fedora9, Ubuntu, and CentOS.  I
have installed WiinXP
and Redhat 5 on the new SATA drive and grub is installed in the MBR on the
new SATA
drive.  So the new drive is /dev/sda and the original is /dev/sdb.

Here is my problem.  I  have edited the grub.conf in Redhat.  Ubuntu and
CentOS will load fine. However I cannot get Fedora9  to load.

When I try to load Fedora9 I get an error 2 message when trying to load the
kernel
     " Bad file or directory type"
According to the grub manual, this error is returned if a file requested is
not a regular file,
but something like a symbolic link, directory, or FIFO.

This is what I copied from Fedora grub.conf to the Redhat grub.conf
I did edit the root line to show it was now on hd1.

    title Fedora (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)
            root (hd1,0)
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686 ro
root=UUID=54e24e43-3728-497e-b92a-f494b44fea6e rhgb quiet
            initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.img

I have tried changing 'root=' to various e.g. /dev/sdb1 with the same
results.   I noticed that the permissions on the kernel
were 755, but on the other distros 644.  Changing these did not help.

Of course the easy solution is just reinstall Fedora9-it is only a few days
old, but I would like to figure it out.

Charles