[SATLUG] Open Source deduplication capabilities?

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:29:27 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just read a great article in this months Information Week about a
> new backup technology called 'data deduplication'. Anybody out there
> actually using it and if so, how much has it dropped your storage
> requirements for your backups?
>
> --
> Jeremy Mann
> jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

> Bioinformatics Core Facility
> http://www.bioinformatics.uthscsa.edu
> Phone: (210) 567-2672

The "sanguy" comments below speak to your question directly.
DataDomain seems to be doing a first class job.

In Hu's piece on Deduplication he seems to be moving into contemporary thought.
[Jon Toigo's Drunken Data excerpt]
http://www.drunkendata.com/?p=1700#comments
#  Administrator Says:
April 26th, 2008 at 10:17 am
Hu Yoshida at HDS has posted an interesting blog on issues around
calculating de-dupe ratios. I just left him a comment that his post
was more informative than about 20 PPTs I have seen in the last couple
of years on this topic.
Well worth a read.
http://blogs.hds.com/hu/2008/03/pre_post_and_in_line_deduplication_ratios.html
The funny comment was a post by someone asking whether Hu is going to
join a working group at SNIA that is studying de-dupe. Hmm…

[this is a comment on the DrunkenData post above]
# sanguy Says:
April 26th, 2008 at 6:33 pm
I'm no vendor but we do have a few DataDomain devices in our
datacenter and quite honestly they may be some of the best purchases
we have ever made in the storage/backup department. We're squeezing
about 100 terabytes of data onto only 4 gigabytes of actual storage
and "tape bitch" is no longer part of my job description. Restores are
quick and painless as well.
[End Drunken Data excerpt]

Sanguy's comment is powerful stuff. This was not the design goal of
deduplication. It is an unintended consequence.
The bending of dedupe to provide what "tape bitches" have been wanting
for years is a real w00t!!! and way overdue.
I have heard this from many sources.

YMMV