[SATLUG] OT: Phishing via SMS

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 10:15:15 CDT 2008

I got an SMS this morning on my work phone that appears to be a phishing
attack.  It came from "customer at aloha.local" with the following message:

(ALERT) You need to renew your Vonage Services, please visit us at
www.vonagerenew.com

The web site appears to be a valid Vonage login page, but none of the links
work.  Not sure if it will actually log you into Vonage (pass-through) if
you put in valid credentials, but I'm not about to risk compromising my
account to test that theory :)  The domain is registered through a proxy
registrar in CA, so it could owned by anyone.  It is hosted at an AT&T data
center in NY.

Any other Vonage customers get something like tihs, or is this just a random
event?  The phone I received it on is not tied my Vonage account in any way,
but it's possible whoever had the number before me did use it as a contact
number somewhere.

-Henry