[SATLUG] OT-Time Warner Download Cap

Mark Spieth marks at teamcmi.com
Wed Jun 4 20:33:53 CDT 2008

More and more providers are going to have to start doing this. Bottom
line, Bandwidth is expensive. You can't sell 2k (The ISP's Cost) worth
of bandwidth for $34.95 a month and keep making money. A few years ago
before streaming this and streaming that, when people used very little
bandwith it wasn't a big deal. But with the evolution of fat downloads,
(Hell just look at how much bandwidth it takes to update your
computer... Redhat Enterprise 5, 400Megs after install, and windows XP
is getting close to that.... most ISP's are seeing this as a financial
problem.

I helped setup a cable company's internet a few years back. The monthly
internet bill from their various upstream providers including local
loops were almost 250k a month, if all the users pulled just 50% of the
10 mb link they were sold for $34.95 the cable company would have needed
almost 2.5 mill a month in connectivity alone.

Just my .02

Sean I wrote:
> I know you all have read about the test is Beaumont, 40GB Cap?  I was
> curious about every one's thoughts on this.  I for one downloaded at
> least 20GB of Linux live DVDs last month, not including a few flac
> CD's I bought online and 12GB of Family Guy Season one from
> direct2download.  Yeah and that was just one month of legal stuff.  I
> was just curious if anyone has given thought to this or if anyone see
> any upsides to this (I for one am already looking for DSL and will
> switch just because).  Any thoughts¿  Please don't flame anyone on
> this subject (except me that is OK).
>
> sean

believed to be clean.