[SATLUG] OT-Time Warner Download Cap

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jun 4 23:26:13 CDT 2008

On 6/4/08, Mark Spieth wrote:

>  I helped setup a cable company's internet a few years back. The monthly
>  internet bill from their various upstream providers including local loops
>  were almost 250k a month, if all the users pulled just 50% of the 10 mb
>  link they were sold for $34.95 the cable company would have needed almost
>  2.5 mill a month in connectivity alone.

That's the cable provider's problem.  If they can't provision their
systems to handle the bandwidth requirements, and they're not smart
enough to partner with the companies that are generating the content
so that they can proxy cache that on behalf of their customers, then
they've been selling the wrong business model for years and they
deserve to go out of business.