[SATLUG] OT-Time Warner Download Cap

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Jun 5 03:42:20 CDT 2008

There is another take on this: Instead of limiting bandwidth, we should
increase it to accommodate this need. Years ago I remember there was a
lot of investment in laying fiber which was orders of magnitude faster
than copper. A lot of it lay unused and extra capacity was available.
Now you can get 10 gbps switches and technology is advancing, my
suggestion would be that we should be investing to advance it faster. This
doesn't really address the economic issue, but I wouldn't leave it up
to the private sector alone. Bandwidth use will further increase, and
we better not depend only on Time Warner to make it available broadly.

-b.