[SATLUG] OT-Time Warner Download Cap

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 00:06:00 CDT 2008

satlugacct at jchampion.com wrote:
>  i know that tw has always wanted to throttle users ever since they,
microsoft, and compaq combined on Road Runner. the trouble was the
because of competition from dsl, they couldn't offer tiered download
speeds so they are now going to experiment with this.
Well,  now they're offering tiered download speeds/volumes, and
definitely throttling. Just last month, I had to re-negotiate my
capacity/speed up from _/7MB/_ to /_10MB_/ -- odd, that, since I'd
originally contracted for /_12MB_ (back in 2003)/...  TW, however, is
very good about /not/ putting their access speeds and limits in their
installation documentation. They talk a mean streak, but seem unwilling
or unable to commit to paper...  <sigh>

>  the problem is that if they are even close to successful, you'll see
this done by more and more companies move to this. it's like the
airlines. they want to see what they can charge you with and leave the
consumer stuck holding the bag.
Yet their helpdesk seems to be uncharacteristically sympathetic and
helpful, at least for now.  I wound up renegotiating my up/down
capability well upward, for essentially the same cost.  They are,
however, reserving their "top speed of 15MB" for consumers who purchase
bundle packages.

>  congress won't help. the conservative fcc definitely won't help and
many consumers are stuck in locales where they cannot get anything other
than cable...like me.
Maybe we'll see a positive change after November?  (Well, I can hope
anyway...)

>  this move seems to be directed as a way to block netflix and amazon's
downloads that tw sees as a direct threat to their vod revenue stream.
And CBS's full episodes, and MSNBC news, and Joost, and several other
purveyors of "free" (ads-based) episode TV.)