[SATLUG] OT-Time Warner Download Cap

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 06:10:18 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:42 AM, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
> There is another take on this: Instead of limiting bandwidth, we should
> increase it to accommodate this need. Years ago I remember there was a
> lot of investment in laying fiber which was orders of magnitude faster
> than copper. A lot of it lay unused and extra capacity was available.
> Now you can get 10 gbps switches and technology is advancing, my
> suggestion would be that we should be investing to advance it faster. This
> doesn't really address the economic issue, but I wouldn't leave it up
> to the private sector alone. Bandwidth use will further increase, and
> we better not depend only on Time Warner to make it available broadly.
>
> -b.
> --

Borries, you hit the nail squarely on the head.
Many years ago (1999-2000) I personally met David R. Huber who was the
founder and CEO of Corvis Corp. He so impressed me with his statement of,
"telecom is poised at the beginning of a 25 year growth cycle like computers
have been in" that I lost a bundle in telecom.
I learned my lesson. The "BIG" telco's control that game.
Corvis was partnered with Juniper Networks to light all the "dark"
fibre in the USA.
Juniper Networks is still around but Corvis got absorbed into
Broadwing which got
absorbed by Level3.
If the "BIG" telco's had followed David Huber's game plan all that
fibre would be
lit. They balked at the revenue model. They wanted rates of return like they got
on POTS and later cell phones.
Cell phone revenue margins are declining. Once again they are looking at the
Broadband business as a way to increase the bottom line.
Any innovation you can see today in the telcos was bought from ILEC's and CLEC's
forced out of business by the "BIG" telcos. And bought for 10 cents,
or less, on the dollar.
There is no one to provide Borries excellent suggestion.