[SATLUG] VM's and linux for newbies - an easier way

Daniel Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 07:04:06 CDT 2008

Herb, I can help you with the VM.

I want to help people new to GNU/Linux, as the clubs SATLUG, XCSSA, and even
Jan from the old days in
Alamo PC ? greatly helped me to learn computers and it allowed me to get
great jobs and have a lot of fun computing.

If your computer meets minimum requirements, you can run GNU/Linux in a
virtual machine (VM). You can download a file, uncompress to your computer,
open a file in VMWare Player and be running GNU/Linux in no time hardly.
It's a great way to try out GNU/Linux and you can still do your computer
chores and play with GNU/Linux.

http://vmware.com/products/player/faqs.html
What are the minimum PC requirements to install and use VMware Player?
    For a typical host system, we recommend that you have a 400MHz or faster
processor (500MHz recommended) and 512MB RAM minimum (1GB RAM recommended).
You must have enough memory to run the host operating system, plus the
memory required for each guest operating system and for applications on the
host and guest...

You can download this app and use it for free...
http://vmware.com/products/player/

Have fun,
Daniel

Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:57:58 -0500
From: herb cee <hc at lookcee.com>
>Daniel Villarreal wrote:
> ... P.S. Anyone try the TinyMe2008 distro? It's real nice. I use a VM of
it... I
> don't have a lot of computer stuff, so I try to make do with a quad core.
> I'd like to run 3 linux distros (Ubuntu 8.04, Slackware12, and TinyMe).
I'm
> wanting to learn about SELinux for a while, but now I have to because it's
> not letting Fedora pick up an IP address.

Wow, I am in same boat Daniel and I at other end of the Linux community
with nearly no knowledge of how to set up anything that does not work
with point&click. I can't get VM to work but I haven't time at the
moment to learn what to do. So I have to wait till I can spend a day or
three.

Most of the time I dunno even what to ask. I really thank you for your
very clear explanations and you show patience and understanding often
along with many on this list. I hope the recent ego outages become
points of understanding instead cause i think this community is worth
hanging in there for. For all-us and I think we do pretty good as a
whole. Works for me.
herb