[SATLUG] OT-Time Warner Download Cap

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Fri Jun 6 03:59:24 CDT 2008

Quoting Charles Hogan <cd_satl at futuretechsolutions.com>:

> David Kowis wrote:
>>
>> Here's one for thought. What if your computer is compromised, which many
>> id10t users are, and it's eating up the bandwdith? it's easy to prove
>> when someone's stealing power or water, but bandwidth isn't.
>>

> Lusers getting their internet bills jacked through the roof because
> they are too stupid to keep their systems updated, or just don't care.
> That would put a smile on my face.  Maybe that's just the sort of
> catalyst that's needed to get people to clean up their systems and quit
> being spam zombies.
>
> It's not that I'm evil, I just see way too many dynamic Comcast/Road
> Runner/Verizon/veloxzone.br/Shaw.... addresses in my mail logs trying
> to send SPAM to non-existent email addresses on my servers.
>
> Makes you wonder, how much of the bandwidth thing is being used up by
> p2p vs. how much is being used up by spam zombies.

According to the statistics of my anti-spam filter (dspam) I'm getting
over 1000 spam emails a day. So yeah, I'd be interested to know if
most of the upload bandwidth is being eaten by spam bots rather than
p2p stuff. Of course, you'd never get the companies to admit to it.
It's always the p2p stuff's fault. Even if it's legal p2p (there is
such a thing, still).

--
David Kowis