sudo (Was Re: [SATLUG] OpenDNS)

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Jun 6 19:42:23 CDT 2008

Don Crowder wrote:

> I don't want to contribute to the hair splitting but "sudo" is, on my
> system, a package which I can install/uninstall via apt-get or Synaptic.
>  "Su" isn't a package but is, rather, a CLI command.

But sudo is a CLI program too.  That is, unless someone has created another
program that provides the same functionality and used the same name, but
also given it a GUI.  In which case, they should call it gsudo, or some
other name to distinguish it from the original CLI-only version.

Moreover, all this means is that your vendor did not choose to incorporate
sudo into the base OS package, but instead allows you to install it as an
optional extra package.  Other vendors include sudo as part of the base OS,
and don't give you that option.

Anyway, I guess what it boils down to is that you shouldn't make assumptions
on what other people have on their platforms based on what you have on your
platform, and so long as the functionality is the same, it doesn't really
matter if there is a hair-splitting difference between "command" and
"application".

And I'm still not convinced there is actually a hair-splitting difference
between these two types of programs, but that's a different argument.