sudo (Was Re: [SATLUG] OpenDNS)

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Fri Jun 6 22:33:53 CDT 2008

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 19:42:23 -0500
Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:

> Don Crowder wrote:
>
> > I don't want to contribute to the hair splitting but "sudo" is, on
> > my system, a package which I can install/uninstall via apt-get or
> > Synaptic. "Su" isn't a package but is, rather, a CLI command.

su is an application that is part of the GNU coreutils. It comes from a
package like everything else on your box.

> But sudo is a CLI program too.  That is, unless someone has created
> another program that provides the same functionality and used the
> same name, but also given it a GUI.  In which case, they should call
> it gsudo, or some other name to distinguish it from the original
> CLI-only version.

sudo is one thing. Some distros, primarily Debian-based ones, have
gksudo which is a separate application and package from sudo.

Fedora doesn't have gksudo, but their not-quite-equivalent method of
running something with elevated privileges is through the use of
zenity, which either execute su or sudo. As far as I can
tell, there is no set standard to use one or the other.