[SATLUG] Re: Introduction of Myself and Linux for Newbies

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Sat Jun 7 09:42:52 CDT 2008

Hello Reggie, I will just say welcome to this list as a fellow newb.

I dunno what else to say to you because your two post confused me.

Perhaps it would help if you told us what 'distro' of Linux you are
trying to learn. Also a computer is generally used for a purpose and so
the distro you choose to begin with should be oriented toward your purpose.

I do understand your frustration trying to learn from various documents
on the web. It is like a huge library and maybe if you used google and
start asking your specific question you can narrow down what to read
from thousands of pages on almost any subject.

I have learned a lot from just lurking and reading every post to this
list for past year plus. I have learned that detailed expert help is
available here and if you will ask your question in a specific way you
will be helped. You need to state the basic specs of the computer you
are using to learn on and the Linux distro and version number. For
instance I use a P-IV 1.7g CPU with 1.2G of ddr RAM, I have a Nivida
5200 graphics card and am using a router to conect to the DSL modem. I
am using Ubuntu 7.10 and I am planning to upgrade to version 8.04. I
also have played some with other distros but I think Ubuntu fits me better.

When I first arrived on this list that was the first advice I got was to
pick a distro that fitted my needs best. I gave up on Fedora based on
that and found that Ubuntu worked better for me.

I dunno if this helps or not but I wish you good luck.
herb