[SATLUG] automatix2 troubles

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 11:18:51 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 22:23 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> On 6/6/08, Todd W. Bucy wrote:
>
> >  there really only is one choice for a F/OSS replacement for photoshop
> >  and that is Gimp.  Which considering the price you pay at the register
> >  for photoshop Gimp is more then photoshops equal.
>
> That's like saying that GraphicConverter is your only replacement for
> Photoshop, or maybe Picasa.
>
> They may be image editing programs (or sites), but there is so much
> more that Photoshop can do that they can't.  Gimp may be further down
> that path, but it still suffers from the same problem -- it's not
> Photoshop, and can't do half of what Photoshop can.
>

> Sometimes, you really do need the real thing.

I couldn't have said it better myself. There are so many things that
Gimp cannot do that Photoshop can. It's really good, but it is nowhere
near being an apt replacement to Photoshop for those who do anything
more than basic photo editing. And it's lacking in many more areas than
just CMYK support. If that was all it was lacking I could deal with it,
I start all my color correction in Photoshop.

And just for the record, I would pay full price to have a native
Photoshop on Linux. Being free doesn't automatically make substandard
software better.

~Nate

~Nate