[SATLUG] Re: Linux OS as basis for Network Management

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 11:35:48 CDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> K. Reginald Buckner wrote:
>> Greetings:
>>
>> Can someone enlightnen me?  Can Linux OS be used in a network
>> manangement
>> since?
>> For example can you use it like for HP Openview or Cisco Works?
>
> Those are proprietary programs.  It depends on whether the vendor has
> created
> Linux versions or not.  I don't know about those specific programs.
Hi.  The company I retired from used HP OpenView - a gui-based network
monitoring and management tool to track router up/down (Cisco 2600/2800)
status over a national-level WAN.  It was rather clunky, and a big
resource hog, but it did the job.  I think K-Reg is looking for a
comparable *nix/FOSS tool.

Cheers;
Ed