sudo (Was Re: [SATLUG] OpenDNS)

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Jun 7 12:15:18 CDT 2008

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 08:27:03 -0500
country <glenn.toothman at gmail.com> wrote:

> su is a command, and it is in every release of *NIX I've worked with,
> it was in SVR2 ,3, 4 back when, not unique to Linux based products.

No, certainly it's not unique to Linux. What is your distinction
between "application" and "command"? To me, an application is a piece
of software. A command is how you run an application. If you look at the
GNU coreutils tarball, su.c is a stand-on-its-own application. The
way you put it makes it sound, to me, like its inherently part of
something else like cd, alias, set, etc are to bash. Maybe so on other
systems, but not on systems using the GNU version of su.