sudo ...... (Was Re: [SATLUG] OpenDNS)

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Sat Jun 7 18:26:06 CDT 2008

FIRESTORM_v1 wrote:
> Oh, please, someone, think of the nits!!!
>
> /dons fireproof jacket and hides in the datacenter protected by FM200.....
>
> FIRESTORM_v1
>
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Geoff <geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:
>
>> oh, those poor nits.
>>
>> --
>> Just how much fun can I have before I go to hell?
>>

> Well, if you're going there I am too, want to carpool?

LOL ok I hitch-hiking cause I think ....

Way back when I was told that an internal command was embedded into the
basic booted system and if you used a command name of a file in the
\'DOS'\directory that was explained in detail inside the 2" thick
printed manual that came with the floppy's that were used to create the
boot disk it was an external command but that was DOS ... I dunno from
way back when Linus did Linux from UNIX model ...

These folks say external and internal kind of command.

    Question:

What is an external / internal command?

    Answer:

In MS-DOS there are two types of commands. An Internal command, which is
a command embedded into the command.com file, and an external command,
which is not embedded into command.com and therefore requires a separate
file to be used.

For example, if your computer does not have fdisk.exe and you try using
the fdisk command, you would receive an error "Bad command or file
name." Fdisk is an external command that will only work if fdisk.exe, or
in some cases, fdisk.com, is present.

However, as long as MS-DOS is running on your computer internal commands
such as the cd command <http://www.computerhope.com/cdhlp.htm> will
always be available and does not require any other files to run.