[SATLUG] Re: Linux OS as basis for Network Management

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Sun Jun 8 01:40:05 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 12:47 -0500, Wayne Walker wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 12:36:01PM -0500, Wayne Walker wrote:
> > Two biggest tools in this space in FOSS are
> >
> > Nagios
> >
> > OpenNMS
> >
> > Sounds liek you are looking for OpenNMS.  It is a PAIN to set up.
> > to evaluate it, don't go through the nightmarish install, instead setup
> > a VMware virtual host from the already built and installed version  liek
> > described at http://pcquest.ciol.com/content/enterprise/2007/107062903.asp
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4141&package_id=227240

> --

> Wayne Walker

Having run OpenView on NT, HP-UX, and Solaris, and having run OpenNMS on
Linux and FreeBSD, I find OpenNMS to be much less of a resource hog,
especially during discovery.  I found the OpenView agents for Oracle and
MySQL to be pretty clunky, too, where they could have used more snmp
based scripts to accomplish the same job with less obfuscation.

As for red light/green light type reporting OpenNMS seemed as easy to
use as Whats Up Gold without all the obligatory gee-whiz graphics.

Al Castanoli