[SATLUG] intel speedstep

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Jun 7 22:06:34 CDT 2008

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 20:01:37 -0500 (CDT)
Borries Demeler <demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

> Can someone point me to an app that allows me to control the
> intel speedstep for the Centrino core duo when operating in battery
> mode? My battery lasts about 2.5 hours, but often I need the laptop
> only for about half an hour, but would like to use it in full power
> mode, even if it drains the battery quicker. How do I fix that? Can I
> just cat some value into a /proc file?
>
> Thanks for any tips, -Borries

And if you don't care about a graphical tool, you can do something like
this. (Note the double output is from my laptop being dual-core)

1. Find out what governors are available to you.

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
ondemand userspace performance
ondemand userspace performance

2. Find out what your currently using

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
ondemand
ondemand

3. Set the new governor

echo performance | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor performance

4. Verify the new governor is set

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance
performance

5. Check the CPU speeds (output in Mhz)

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
2501000
2501000