[SATLUG] intel speedstep

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Sun Jun 8 15:42:10 CDT 2008

Borries Demeler wrote:
> Can someone point me to an app that allows me to control the
> intel speedstep for the Centrino core duo when operating in battery mode?
> My battery lasts about 2.5 hours, but often I need the laptop only for about
> half an hour, but would like to use it in full power mode, even if it drains
> the battery quicker. How do I fix that? Can I just cat some value into a
> /proc file?
>
> Thanks for any tips, -Borries

Support has been directly in the kernel for years.

On my grandma's computer I just added:

powernow_k8
cpufreq_ondemand
freq_table

To /etc/modules to load the needed modules and correct governor.  You
would have to replace the "powernow_k8" with the one for your p3.

On my laptop I installed cpufrequtils
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/cpufreq/cpufrequtils.html
and that made things easier and I didn't have to mess with the
/etc/modules file.  I also installed klaptopdaemon for a nice gui
interface with an icon in the task tray.  For klaptopdaemon to work you
have to have all the modules loaded or install it along with
cpufrequtils to take care of automatically loading the modules.