[SATLUG] intel speedstep

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun Jun 8 16:56:49 CDT 2008

> On my grandma's computer I just added:
>
> powernow_k8
> cpufreq_ondemand
> freq_table
>
> To /etc/modules to load the needed modules and correct governor.  You
> would have to replace the "powernow_k8" with the one for your p3.

Dumb question: How do I find out which is the right one for my p3 (whatever
a p3 is)? I am not sure where to look.

> On my laptop I installed cpufrequtils
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/cpufreq/cpufrequtils.html
> and that made things easier and I didn't have to mess with the
> /etc/modules file.  I also installed klaptopdaemon for a nice gui
> interface with an icon in the task tray.  For klaptopdaemon to work you
> have to have all the modules loaded or install it along with
> cpufrequtils to take care of automatically loading the modules.

OK, I did this, and cpufreq-info returned:

cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 003: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq at lists.linux.org.uk, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
analyzing CPU 1:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU

I suspect this has to do with a missing "p3"...

Thanks, -b.