[SATLUG] Re: Linux OS as basis for Network Management

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Sun Jun 8 21:50:39 CDT 2008

Brad Knowles wrote:
| On 6/8/08, K. Reginald Buckner wrote:
|
|>   SNMP Traps, server monitoring, application monitoring, router,
|> switch and
|>  leased circuits observation on live network map is some of the
|> features I
|>  was wondering about.
|
| Nagios and other open-source/freely available network monitoring tools
| are able to do all of these things, at least to the level you've
| described them.  Both active and passive checks (ping, telnet, finger,
| most any TCP or UDP-based protocol, etc...), SNMP polling and traps,
| etc....
|
| But that's just the 50,000 foot view.  If there are more specific
| features you're looking for, those may or may not be available.
|
| Check the talks and papers given at LISA conferences, to see how
| companies like AOL, Akamai, etc... use tools like this.  Try Googling
| "network monitoring site:usenix.org" and look at the articles that are
| turned up.

I can vouch for that. LISA has many good things on monitoring. I was
privileged enough to go one year, and it was awesome. I'm going to try
go to the next one again.

If nagios doesn't do what you want it to do, you can build a plugin that
will. I've done snmp trap monitoring that interfaced to the file system.
A trap would come in, a file would be touched. It was the way I made the
monitoring "active" rather than "passive". It's an extremely flexible
monitoring system.

I did leased circuit (read telecom [T1s within T3s]) monitoring with
nagios. It didn't quite work out well, because the T3 failed before the
T1s riding on it did. That was hella annoying :( Oh well. With more time
and better stuff I could've reduced the amount of spam that it sent. It
was a thrown together thing that I did in my spare time between other
tasks at work. However, that EPIC FAILure turned my boss off to it. So
it never got implemented. Live and Learn

I'll stop rambling now and end with: If Nagios can't monitor it, then it
ain't worth monitoring.

- --
David Kowis

www.ronpaul2008.com - Ron Paul for President!