[SATLUG] broken cpu pin fell off

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 05:49:26 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the economical suggestion. I am not sure
> that I will be able to run memory in dual channel
> without buying it in dual channel pairs. Does anybody
> know?

Good question. I've wondered about this myself. Here is my recent experience.
For my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (circa 2003) separate "matched" memory chips
are required to run dual channel.
It will run with just one memory card but performance is noticeably worse.
The ASUS MSN-MX SE Plus I bought recently (2008) runs ok with one 2GB
memory card. Not sure if it is doing dual channel or not.
I asked the shop where I bought it and they said dual channel no
longer requires separate memory cards.
This may not be a technically accurate statement. What they may mean
is that performance is about the same.

What the Experts say:
Dual-channel architecture - Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

And from the Wikipedia page:
"Tom's Hardware found no significant difference between single-channel
and dual-channel configurations in synthetic and game benchmarks
(using a "modern" system setup).[2]"
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING,1705-11.html

Robert