[SATLUG] which list serv do you use

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Jun 10 22:04:16 CDT 2008

On 6/10/08, twistedpickles wrote:

>  I'm looking for an app to make announcements and send out newsletters
>  yet allow users can add or remove themselves via a web interface.

There are a number of options here.  You could use a shared service
that is hosted somewhere else, such as Yahoo!Groups.  They also
provide an integrated webmail interface to their system for
subscribers.

You could use a private service that is hosted somewhere else, but I
haven't had much in the way of luck with these services.  They tend
to throw up products like cPanel or Plesk with a heavily modified
version of Mailman, but then they won't give you any kind of local
support so you have to go mooch on the mailman-users mailing list and
hope that someone takes pity on you.  Regretfully, even the vendors
of the software don't seem to provide much in the way of support to
their site customers.

You could use a private service that is hosted somewhere else, but
with a group that provides good mailing list hosting and local
support for it.  There aren't many of these, but if you look hard,
you can find them.  If you're interested in going this route, let me
know and I'll give you a few pointers.

If you want software to run on your own system, there's
Majordomo+Majorcool, but in my experience that was kind of clunky for
the NTP Public Services Project at ntp.org.  We switched to using
Mailman, and we haven't looked back since.  Soon after we did that
switch, I got more heavily involved in supporting the Mailman project
and Python.org in general (see my LinkedIn profile).

Now that I work at UT Austin, I'm getting a little exposure to
another package called Sympa, which is written in Perl and uses a
MySQL back-end, but while it seems to have some good features it also
seems to make some odd choices with the way it handles certain things.

At the very least, depending on your personal experience, the
languages you're familiar with, etc... you might want to check out
both Mailman and Sympa.

And yes, I say that as the current primary active
postmaster/listmaster for python.org, and the author of the "mmdsr"
script which now lives in the contrib/ directory in the Mailman
tarballs.