[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.04 and easy way to install software

Daniel Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 05:50:42 CDT 2008

Herb,
1. Just click on System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager
Just log in with the password

You can do several things
Click on reload to get data about new packages
Click on "Mark All Upgrades"
Click on "Custom Filters" below and then click on "Marked Changes" above
Click apply
And the packages will be updated.

You can also click on "Search" and search for individual packages

For flash, you might want to try gnash...
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
"Gnash is a GNU Flash movie player. Previously, it was only possible to play
flash movies with proprietary software."

Some people don't want to run flash, for different reasons.
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb07-20.html

have fun,
Daniel V.