[SATLUG] Re:Linux Certification Ideas

Jennifer Van Gorkom jennifervg at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 21:39:07 CDT 2008

--- On Wed, 6/11/08, K. Reginald Buckner <buckmiester35 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: K. Reginald Buckner <buckmiester35 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [SATLUG] Re:Linux Certification Ideas
> To: satlug at satlug.org
> Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 2:07 AM
> The scenario for me is this:
>
>  I think there is a glut of MSCE and MSCA but a lot of Data
> Centers and Web
> Hosting companies are using Linux on their servers.
> Here is what I dont know :
>
>  Which Linux certification is best to get out of these
> choices:
>
> RHCT & RHCE
>
> LPI 100 series  & 200 series
>
> Linux +
>
> Novell CLP & CLE
>
> Ubuntu Certified Professional.
>

> I have course material for both RHCE Fast Track and CLP/CLE
> Upgrade. But I
> dont know which is worth pursuing your input
> please
> --

Linux + you can safely ignore as it is a very entry level certification.

Ubuntu I have never heard of so I can not speak to that.

If you are looking for a job in a company that is big enough to have an HR department reviewing the resumes' then you want RedHat.  This is because if they are looking for someone who knows linux in all probability RedHat is the only cert the HR department will recognize.

If it is a smaller company or your resume is strong enough to get past HR without a recognizable certification then you probably want the LPI simply because though it nitpicks basics to death its not vender specific and thus shows that you are flexible and able to meet the challange.

Whichever you choose good luck
Jennifer