[SATLUG] OT: Broadband cards

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Jun 12 02:44:53 CDT 2008

On 6/12/08, Jonathan Hull wrote:

>  Any suggestions? Might not be able to match them all, but the more the
>  better. I've looked at Sprint, and it seems to be okay, but I wonder
>  if you guys know of any other good options to compare.

To be honest, I'd say that you should start with your software and
what drivers will work with what hardware.  Then look to see if any
of those carriers have coverage in your area.  None of the carriers
have true universal coverage, and they're all going to have weak
spots where some of their competitors provide better coverage than
they do.

T-Mobile doesn't really have any 3G coverage at all -- they just
recently got their bandwidth frequencies assigned to them, and I
don't think anyone has any hardware out that works on it.

AT&T still has weak 3G coverage.  If you're in one of their
designated cities, you might be able to get 3G coverage in some parts
of those cities, but that's about the best you can hope for.  You'll
be in 2.5G EDGE/GPRS territory otherwise, and if you're really
unlucky you won't even be able to get GPRS.

But outside of 3G, both AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM carriers, so as
long as the equipment you're using is quad-band, or even just
tri-band, you should get at least decent EDGE/GPRS access, if not 3G
access.  This has the advantage that it will also work overseas, and
I think you might find more driver support for GSM hardware than CDMA.

Sprint tends to have the best overall coverage of the main carriers
as it sits right now, but Verizon is in the process of buying Alltel,
and Alltel is the major network partner for all of the "big four"
carriers in rural areas.  Going forward, you really have to wonder
how much companies like Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T are going to want
to have their rural coverage provided for them by the biggest cell
carrier in the country.

Yes, Alltel put up towers to handle all the relevant frequencies on
both CDMA and GSM technologies, but the equipment they used
themselves or their own customers was CDMA and when Alltel customers
roamed in urban areas, they were on the Verizon network.  So the
marriage of Verizon and Alltel makes a lot of sense.

Of course, Sprint and Verizon/Alltel are CDMA carriers.  But they
tend to lock their equipment to their network, and since they don't
have a SIM card, you can't just take that equipment and go use it on
another carrier.  You have to buy different equipment, even if it's
from the same model from the same hardware manufacturer.

Sprint has hidden caps on bandwith as well as throughput, and their
so-called "unlimited" data plan starts at $60/month.  Verizon is the
same.  T-Mobile "Total Internet for Data Cards" is $50/month.  For
AT&T, their DataConnect North America plan is $110/month, but then
maybe that really is unlimited?