[SATLUG] broken cpu pin fell off

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 23:27:42 CDT 2008

Robert Pearson <e2eiod at gmail.com> wrote: On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Chris Lemire  wrote:
> Thanks for the economical suggestion. I am not sure
> that I will be able to run memory in dual channel
> without buying it in dual channel pairs. Does anybody
> know?

Good question. I've wondered about this myself. Here is my recent experience.
For my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (circa 2003) separate "matched" memory chips
are required to run dual channel.
It will run with just one memory card but performance is noticeably worse.
The ASUS MSN-MX SE Plus I bought recently (2008) runs ok with one 2GB
memory card. Not sure if it is doing dual channel or not.
I asked the shop where I bought it and they said dual channel no
longer requires separate memory cards.
This may not be a technically accurate statement. What they may mean
is that performance is about the same.

What the Experts say:
Dual-channel architecture - Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

And from the Wikipedia page:
"Tom's Hardware found no significant difference between single-channel
and dual-channel configurations in synthetic and game benchmarks
(using a "modern" system setup).[2]"
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING,1705-11.html

Robert
--

That shows that it doesn't make a difference in gaming. Here's what else doesn't make a difference in gaming. My friend who has the money to spend on one of the best c2d cpus out there with a late 7 series model nvidia chipset video card did a test. He had his intel c2d at stock speed which I think was 2.4 ghz. He played games, ran benchmarks, etc. Then he cranked it up to the usual speed he runs it at, 3.8 ghz. He got 0 fps (for non-gamers, that's frames per second) difference. That proves that games are gpu bound, so I'm wondering if the same concept is true with memory. Once you get to a point where it is so fast, making it faster may not improve the performance in gaming but can improve the performance in other areas of computing. I'm not sure if that part is true. He's also a bit Tom's Hardware reader, told me his wife said all his time spent on the computer is reading about computers better than his. He said he's got an expensive overclocked machine for checking his
 email and IM Lol.

SKYPE AND LQ FORUMS:	fakie_flip
AIM AND YIM:	good bye300
IRC:	linux_user400354