[SATLUG] Preferred web frontend?

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Fri Jun 13 00:26:07 CDT 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:02:40 -0500
FIRESTORM_v1 <firestorm.v1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My goal isn't something like a blog, but more like Slashdot, although
> new user registrations are going to be disabled.
>
> The idea is something not "blogish" like wordpress, but does support
> tagging articles.  I was thinking about hacking in tags support into
> PHP-Nuke, but then again, that whole nuke thing......

I'm failing to see how what you're talking about isn't "blogish". No,
it's not a LiveJournal emo-fest, but the way I've used Wordpress in the
past was very similar to your description.

> I suppose that if push comes to shove, I could whip up something
> together and hide the "submission form" behind a piece of code that
> detects if I'm coming from inside the home network.

You can do that without custom code in Apache. That's what
mod_authz_host is good at.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/access.html

> If push comes to shove, I can provision a VM and try out Ruby on
> Rails, although my first guess would be that it has something to do
> about red colored trains, hence my initial apprehension.

Rails is a framework written in Ruby. It isn't a CMS, but it runs on
its own web server, so you can easily try it out without going through
the hassle of setting up a VM for it. It has its drawbacks, primarily
that it doesn't scale. For personal use it's fine. Don't be afraid to
look at Ruby and Python based solutions.

If you decide nothing quite fits what you're looking for, check out
Django for a sweet framework that is arguably better than Rails,
written in Python and works with mod_python.