[SATLUG] [OT] 205.jpg (JPEG Image, 725x275 pixels)

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Jun 13 08:48:58 CDT 2008

> My math skills are similarly challenged. But I believe that if my feeble memory serves that SQRT(-1) is undefined (as opposed to the value of ZERO). But I could be wrong...

I think we are talking about an "imaginary" friend. In complex number
theory, the square root of a negative number is the square root of the
same number positive, times the square of i, where i is the imaginary part of
the complex number, and i * i = -1. Example:
square root of -16 is 4 * i.

In my opinion, the cartoon limps, mathematically speaking :-)
Why would 8 be able to see square root of -1 but not the other integers
is not clear to me.

-b.