[SATLUG] Data Recovery help!

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 01:10:12 CDT 2008

I was sadly informed by the WD Smart Monitoring app that my WD MyBook
500GB HD that I've had less than a year is critically failing.  Any
attempts to copy any data off results in a "I/O Device Error" in
Windows.  Yeah, I'm boned.

I'm desperate!! I'm looking for ANY solution to get the data off that
drive, even if I have to install some bastardized version of QNX and
mesh it with BSD to allow me to read this drive so I can pull the
300+GB data off of it and onto another machine on the network.

The hard drive is the External USB 2.0 MyBook 500GB edition.  I went
so far as to extract the drive from the case to find out that it's a
regular SATA drive.  I can see  the root directory structure in
Windows XP, but any attempt to copy any directories results in an IO
error.  The drive doesn't appear to have any physical crash issues, no
scraping or kathunk click of death sounds coming from it.

I've got the drive in the icebox right now, praying I can get the data
off after it cools.  My last 7 years of my computing/hacking/linux
life are on that drive and it's the biggest drive on the LAN, but I
can spread the data off of it onto other chunks throughout the LAN.  I
haven't had a hard drive critically fail on me in the past four years,
now all of a sudden my biggest HD dies.

Please help!!

FIRESTORM_v1

P.S.  So, WD is crap now, what HD manufacturers do you recommend?
Seagate any good?