[SATLUG] Data Recovery help!

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 02:13:05 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 1:10 AM, FIRESTORM_v1 <firestorm.v1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was sadly informed by the WD Smart Monitoring app that my WD MyBook
> 500GB HD that I've had less than a year is critically failing.  Any
> attempts to copy any data off results in a "I/O Device Error" in
> Windows.  Yeah, I'm boned.
>
> I'm desperate!! I'm looking for ANY solution to get the data off that
> drive, even if I have to install some bastardized version of QNX and
> mesh it with BSD to allow me to read this drive so I can pull the
> 300+GB data off of it and onto another machine on the network.
>
> The hard drive is the External USB 2.0 MyBook 500GB edition.  I went
> so far as to extract the drive from the case to find out that it's a
> regular SATA drive.  I can see  the root directory structure in
> Windows XP, but any attempt to copy any directories results in an IO
> error.  The drive doesn't appear to have any physical crash issues, no
> scraping or kathunk click of death sounds coming from it.
>
> I've got the drive in the icebox right now, praying I can get the data
> off after it cools.  My last 7 years of my computing/hacking/linux
> life are on that drive and it's the biggest drive on the LAN, but I
> can spread the data off of it onto other chunks throughout the LAN.  I
> haven't had a hard drive critically fail on me in the past four years,
> now all of a sudden my biggest HD dies.
>
> Please help!!
>
> FIRESTORM_v1
>
> P.S.  So, WD is crap now, what HD manufacturers do you recommend?
> Seagate any good?
> --

Have you tried the "freezing" trick?
Maybe "freeze" and boot with Knoppix and see if you can either:
1. copy the Information off
2. "dd" the disk image off to a safe location and try and recover it there
3. from Tweeks in the SATLUG archives:
"Beside the freezing trick.. also use the tool ddrescue.  It's like dd
but it can handle i/o errors without dying.  Either clone the drive to
a larger drive (raw) or to an image file that you can mount an pull
data from later. Just don't try to fsck the source drive or you could
lose everything.
Tweeks"

TestDisk is highly recommended:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Many people recommend this non-free software:
Gibson Research Corporation
<<http://www.grc.com/default.htm>>