[SATLUG] Re: [XCSSA] Data Recovery help!

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sat Jun 14 12:47:39 CDT 2008

On Saturday 14 June 2008 02:52:10 am X-otic Computer Systems of San Antonio
wrote:
[...]
> I'll give that Knoppix dd-rescue a try, hopefully the dd and the dry
> ice all work to result in a successfully copied drive.

The dry ice sounds like a good trick (if your probelm can be temporarily
solved via thermal trickery)...

> I'm thinking next payday, of getting a three drive SATA RAID
> backplane, and a two drive mirrioring setup.  (the third is a regular
> SATA HD plugged into the motherboard).

Why not a three drive RAID-5 array?  If you do..  get a battery/cache based
RAID card so that you can take advantage of write-back cache speed (and keep
your data consistent on disk.. i.e. safe).

> Thanks for your help.

No worries man..

[...]
> Does knoppix support NTFS writes now?  I'm going to need to dd_rescue
> this drive to the 700GB SATA which is also NTFS.

I think that it has ntfs-3g built in (IIRC).. However, you'll hose all of your
UN*X permission settings.  I don't know why you want to recover
linux->windows.. but if that's all you have, then at least do so to a TAR
file or a dd image file.

> Thanks again!! There is hope, then after the drive is empty, it's
> shotgun time. (stupid one year warranties.)

Yeah.. you can pretty much ignore the MTBF.  Now a days it's more of a
marketing thing (just as the MB/GB went from base 2 to base 10 back in the
80s).  Now the best way to rate drive quality is by looking at the warranty
period.  Don't buy less than a 5yr drive. ;)

> > Tweeks
> > p.s. You might want to invest in one of these.. I got mine for Xmas and
> > have already used it to save several people's "assets"... ;)

Sorry.. forgot the link:
	http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

I've saved a lot of data (including some of my own at work) with this
thing. :)

Tweeks