[SATLUG] OT: Broadband cards

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sun Jun 15 11:25:21 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Jonathan Hull <masterr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see the 595U on the website. They do have 2 other USB cards.
> The Compass 597, which is cheaper, or the  Ovation U727 which has an
> SD card slot (what for?) and actually lists Linux in the specs, so I
> assume it will work.

My U727 is "officially supported", but has a weird bug in Linux: you MUST
unmount the virtual CDROM (Has the drivers on it) and the SD card slot (if
it has a card in it), or the USB-serial driver won't load the ttyUSBx
devices for the modem.  You can then remount the vCDROM and SD if you want
access to them.  I have not gotten around to it, but an appropriate udev
script could take care of that (See device, reload usbserial for device,
unmount cd/sd, check ttyUSBx, remount cd/sd).  It would be simpler to get
one without the features.

Other than that, it is smoking fast (relative to other wide-area wireless
connections that I have used).

I hate that all of these require 2 years and are insane prices without
> the subsidies. Cell companies really like to rape you, eh?

Yep. Annoying.  Worth the cost if you spend any time roaming and really need
internet from where ever you are.  The way to get around the contract is to
bring your own device.  Find one on EBay that is not used anymore and buy
it.  Call in to activate it with the ESID and you are done.

jp.