[SATLUG] OT: Broadband cards

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun Jun 15 12:00:17 CDT 2008

> Yep. Annoying.  Worth the cost if you spend any time roaming and really need
> internet from where ever you are.  The way to get around the contract is to
> bring your own device.  Find one on EBay that is not used anymore and buy
> it.  Call in to activate it with the ESID and you are done.

Sounds intriguing, but I am not clear what kind of device you are talking about.
Right now, I have an old-style ISA modem in one of my linxu boxes which I use for
faxing and calling in with my cell phone for internet. I use my Razr for this
connection (using kppp) and I get about 14.4 kbaud. It's good enough for terminal
access, but really not practical for moving data and browsing, even with graphics
turned off. What is ESID? My phone lists the following technology: dual 800/1900
CDMA 1x-EVDO. Is there something I can do to get faster than 14.4 internet for
free without having to sign up for these expensive plans? The 14.4 connection is
free to me. Any suggestions?

-b.