[SATLUG] OT: Broadband cards

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun Jun 15 12:41:37 CDT 2008

> You can use the Razr PAM (Phone as a Modem) but it will cost extra  you
> should be able get speeds up to 1Mbs if your phone supports EVDO rev A more
> than likely you will get speeds around 500-700Kbs. Here is a link from the
> Ubuntu forums for setting up the RAZR though it is for Verizon I'm sure it
> will be similar for Sprint.
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343989&highlight=evdo+motorola

Thanks, but this doesn't answer my question. Is there some modem/device
I can plug into my server on a phone line that will allow me to dial
to my own system, rather than Verizon's? I want to be my own ISP, and
not have to pay for the service to Verizon. Right now I can do this,
but only at 14.4 kbaud, not in EVDO mode (as far as I know). I don't mind
using my minutes, I just don't want to pay another $80/month for this
kind of service.

-b.