[SATLUG] OT: Broadband cards

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Sun Jun 15 12:59:41 CDT 2008

Borries Demeler wrote:
> Thanks, but this doesn't answer my question. Is there some modem/device
> I can plug into my server on a phone line that will allow me to dial
> to my own system, rather than Verizon's? I want to be my own ISP, and
> not have to pay for the service to Verizon. Right now I can do this,
> but only at 14.4 kbaud, not in EVDO mode (as far as I know). I don't mind
> using my minutes, I just don't want to pay another $80/month for this
> kind of service.

Goodness, I wish.  I just got a bill from Sprint/NexTel and if I read it
correctly (those of you who get Sprint bills in the mail know what I'm
talking about) it says that I used 622.00kb, for $18.66 which is
$0.33.33 cents per kb.

A quick scan of forums says that the Motorola ic-502 can -not- be used
as a PAM (phone as modem) device.  It ic-902 can, but Sprint/NexTel
doesn't have the ruggedized version like the ic-502, and I need -some-
sort of protection in my line of work.  Besides, even ebay doesn't show
any used ic-902's for less than ~$80.

So, anyone with ideas on how to use the Motorola ic-502 as an air-card
connected via a usb cable, let me know.  At this point, OS is not a
consideration.  If it's a M$ only thing, then I'll figure a way to use a
VM, and install a copy of Win2k.
;-)