[SATLUG] XCSSA Meeting,
Monday 7pm at SAC: Microcontroller Hacking and NetBSD Net Booting!
tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Jun 15 22:57:44 CDT 2008
FYI... Tomorrow night's XCSSA meeting at SAC:
Xotic Computer Systems of San Antonio *
(* this email is best viewed in fixed fonts)
If you missed last months' cool meeting on microcontroller hacking:
well we're having a related (and way cool demo) this month... PLUS our own
John Baker will another installment/attempt at doing a live NetBSD net-boot &
1) NetBSD Net Booting and Installation (presentation starts EARLY at 6pm)
By: John Baker
John is actually starting his presentation between his class and the formal
XCSSA meeting at 6pm (room 025). He is actually going to set up a LAN
bubble, run his own DHCP/bootp/tftp/NFS
server to boot strap the machine he's installing NetBSD on, NFS mapping his
own source repo, and compiling/installing NetBSD completely diskless (over he
network). You can glean a lot about the underpinnings of UN*X and networking
services from this one demo!
2) "Building a ZIFduino Microcontroller Board" from Kit
Nothing too formal.. just a quick step by step guide on how to assemble a
ZIFduino microcontroller board from kit:
But with his own photos...
Tweeks will describe:
* Basic knowledge level needed to get into Arduino μ-controllers
* Why ZIFduino vs Diecimila vs the Nano versions of Arduino?
* Observations on PIC vs Arduino vs raw ATmel-AVR programming
* Example applications (stuff you can make)
Tweeks might also show a brief demo of compiling some example code for
basic "flashing lights" just for the geek satisfaction. Kind of like last
next... Eat Pizza and Shift Gears!
3) Arduino Application Show-n-Tell/Demo time!:
"Why microelectronics are cool: high altitude balloon automation"
By: Chris Snell
Chris won't be doing a formal presentation, but will be sitting by after
tweeks' demo/talk to show off how he's using the arduino microcontroller to
control his high altitude (like 100k ft high!) HAM+Arduino pan/tilt remote
digital photo/video camera! He's prepared to show-n-tell regarding:
* What is a high altitude balloon and why on earth would you build one?
* Basics of HA balloon design
* Building an automated payload with Arduino (Robots...they're everywhere!!)
* My Balloon launch plans
* Brief blurb on ham radio
Sounds like another fun month!
See ya there!
Pres. of XCSSA.ORG
More information about the SATLUG