[SATLUG] Re: [XCSSA] Data Recovery help!

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 09:47:51 CDT 2008

Thankfully I have one of these onhand and definately can attest to
their "asset" saving ability. Infact this was what I used to initially
diagnose and recover a few text files from the drive. I will
definately attest that these little USB devices are an asset to anyone
messing with hardware. Before this happened, I had it in the closet on
a shelf as one of those "Better to have it and not need it than need
it and not have it" kind of things.

It's definately a thermal issue, as letting the drive sit, then firing
it back up after a good amount of time enabled me to copy some info
off.  I'm nowhere near putting a dent in the 300GB that remain on the
drive, but I got my copies of my resume, my website backups and a
couple of critical research documents.   I figure that using the
USB/SATA adapter and a long power cable, I can keep the drive sealed
in a cooler packed with dry ice long enough to copy all the data off,
evac the drive then subject it to some sledgehammer therapy.

Of course, I used this as an excuse to blow some cash though.   I went
to frys and walked out with a Promise 4 port SATA RAID card, a very
nice 4 bay hotswap SATA enclosure and 4 700GB Samsung hard drives.
The Samsung drives all have a 3 year warranty so I don't have to worry
about a <1yr warranty biting me in the posterior again. I went with
the promise controller because it is supported in Windows and Linux,
and promise RAID controllers have been very reliable in the past.  So
now, I have a 2.1TB array with full RAID 5 redundancy.  The software
for the Promise controller is interesting to say the least, it's all
web based on a different port then normal HTTP but is well put
together and haven't had a problem with it, although rebooting after
new logical drive creation is a MUST.  Well at least now I don't have
to worry about losing the data after I get the drive evacuated.

This does prompt the question though, how in the *&@^^# do you back up
a 2.1TB array?  I don't have enough DVDs to do this on any kind of
regularity.

"Burn me once, shame on you, Burn me twice, shame on me"

FIRESTORM_v1