[SATLUG] Using the Data Recovery and HD maintenance tools

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Mon Jun 16 15:32:51 CDT 2008

Ed Coates wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Robert Pearson <e2eiod at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> * I tried to turn smart 'on' .. here are the results ...
>>> herb at Celf:~$ sudo smartctl --smart=on --offlineauto=on --saveauto=on
>>> /dev/hda
>>> [sudo] password for herb:
>>> smartctl version 5.37 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce Allen
>>> Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
>>> *
>>> *Smartctl open device: /dev/hda failed: No such file or directory
>>> herb at Celf:~$
>>>

> I'm using Ubuntu also, and it detected my drives as /dev/sda instead
> of /dev/hda.  Try the mount command to see what partitions are mounted
> and use those devices.
>
> Ed

Thanks Ed that was it I opened System/Admin/Partition manager shows:
/dev/sda1-boot also /sda2-extended & sda5-swap they are mounted to /. I
don't think the sda2 is being used but that was where I intended for the
OS files to go and the big partition just for /home/herb- etc to store
but It's all on sda1. I just bought an 80gb Seagate and the USB to HD
adapter so soon as I get it I am gonna offload the full drive and
repartition and reload from the Alt DT 8.04 CD disk and reload the
working files plus on board BU of data transactions. I will see if the
Seagate is stronger than the WD now installed but this offline 80gb lets
me rethink my future office management system I may want to normally
boot from the USB drive and keep data written to both drives as required
security. I gotta think on this and comments are encouraged. this really
interest me since I am getting to experience a level of 'puting' that I
have avoided for 50+yrs LOL.

Ok this looks good Ed, Robert just sent me a big basket of Linux
examples. I gonna chew on this for the afternoon if I don't overheat
it's 103 here.

Anyway I gonna transfer this to my LinuxNotes file and then make a post
later for you to see if I get it. I wanna learn to get over the CLI
hang, all it takes is little knowledge .... I keep track of where my
head is and if it's working good or not and most all days my head is
just fine but some days I get about like that BORocks. So if my eyes are
working I read if not I listen to an audio book or just music never silence.

Thanks a million Robert & Ed I all excited cause i see couple of doors
open. I going in ..... cover me .... please monitor the 'com'line', lol
What fun
herb